The University of Queensland (UQ) has a wide range of occupational health and safety services, expertise and facilities available to industry, government and community groups.
Our experienced, energetic and enthusiastic team provide cost-effective, innovative solutions to a variety of occupational health and safety needs.
Specific Hazard/ Industry Specialisations
Musculoskeletal health of the working population. This is an important area of research and consultancy as nearly 50% of all workplace injuries are musculoskeletal in origin, representing a significant cost to both the individual and the employer. UQ offers expertise in the implementation and evaluation of workplace-based interventions to assist with the prevention and management of musculoskeletal injuries. The interventions are targeted towards improving employee well-being while not detrimentally impacting on productivity.
Wellbeing, Health Promotion and Sedentary Work
- Design, implementation and evaluation of innovative interventions that target physical activity, sedentary behaviour, health and work performance in office and non-office occupational groups.
- Workplace health promotion programmes, mostly aimed to improve lifestyle behaviours like physical activity and nutrition. Includes needs assessments and evaluation.
Occupational Hygiene / Laboratory Services
- Electron microscopy / X-ray diffraction asbestos testing.
- Specifications and registers for lead (Pb) hazard work.
- Determination of the formulation and the potential use of hazardous substances within samples. Our team is able to assess unknowns against well-established/legislated criteria and can develop material safety data sheets (MSDS).
- Dust fallout analysis.
- We can contribute to industrial site OH&S plans for hazardous chemicals in confined spaces – paints, solvents, abrasive blasting, chemical cleaning, gas analysis
- Occupational hygiene audits/workplace evaluations and surveys.
Workplace Risk and Safety Management
- Education, research and training services
- Risk management systems
- Health and safety management systems
- Incident investigation and analysis
- Human factors and ergonomics
- Emergency management
Design and Innovation
- Expert advice, facilitation and design of innovative health and safety interventions.
Training, Education and Awareness Programs
- Design, development and delivery of a broad spectrum of OHS-related training and professional development courses for all levels of the workforce, including senior management.
Research and Statistical Services
- Program evaluation, including the design and conduct of surveys, discussion groups and interviews. Statistical and economic analyses. Design and development of information and data management systems.
- Industry-based action research in OHS, including development and evaluation of OHS initiatives and programs.
Download the Occupational Health & Safety brochure (PDF, 834KB)
For further information on any of the services or expertise mentioned, contact us today.